Saturday, February 26, 2011

Vineyard Expansion: Catawba

         After much thought, I decided to fill in the empty row with 4 Catawba vines. I had gone back and forth with trying some Petite Pearl or Corot Noir, but ended up choosing the Catawba because is complimentary to what I have already planted (sweet wine) and could be used in a blend of all of my vines quite nicely. The wife and I  have also decided that we will moving to a better school district in the next year and I wanted to get something easy to grow and less experimental, I probably wouldn't even had planted the row if I hadn't already set the posts in 2 feet of concrete. I really hope I can find a home buyer that is interested in growing grapes to care for them.

Here is a link to some information on this breed of grape:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catawba_%28grape%29

2 comments:

  1. Catawba is a cool wine for the summer.
    Here's the Ohio State extension...
    http://ohioline.osu.edu/b919/0002.html

    It mentions some of the history with Nicolas Longworth, who grew some on Mt. Adams. Then, the humid air, and lack of fungisides destroyed the crops. People gave up.

    ReplyDelete