Sunday, February 13, 2011

2011 Backyard Fruit Projections

I thought it would be interesting to estimate how much fruit I could potentially yield in the 2011 growing season and then translate that into potential wine.


Blackberry Crowns
 - Blackberry crowns yield potential is difficult to project. Crop estimates from 6 to 46 pounds per plant have been reported for triple crown blackberries. I find it difficult to believe any more than 5 pounds each could come off of my canes, so I will estimate at 4 pounds per planted blackberry bush - 20 total pounds

Blueberry Bushes
- My bushes are too young to produce fruit -- or anything worth accounting for if it does.

Black Raspberry Bush
- My single bush should yield between 1-2 pounds(will be blended with blackberry)

Grapes
- Of my 20 backyard grapevines, I will have only 12 being 4th year vines. From each of these vines, I will estimate half of optimal harvest, due to growth status thus far, which would be roughly 8 pounds. I would get 96 pounds of fruit by these projections.


Total - 4th year projections

Grapes - 96 lbs / 15 lbs per gallon =  6.4 gallons = 30-35 bottles
 Berries(all combined) = 22-25 lbs total / 4 = 5(ish) gallons = 20-25 bottles

Bottles of finished wine goal for 2011: 50-60 bottles

No comments:

Post a Comment