Thursday, April 12, 2012

My Garden Hoe

I never liked my garden hoe, but the cheap bastard within kept me from replacing it until it was broken. As luck would have it, it failed to complete a vicious weeding session and it has officially been deemed unfit to serve.

I was thinking about going and buying a new hoe at Home Depot, but then remembered a blog post I had read all about garden hoe's some time ago on the Contrary Farmer blog. If you are not already following that blog, I would highly recommend it. He is a great writer and witty as hell. The post gives you the pros/cons of  a regular garden hoe including structural details that most of us wouldn't have ever even considered:


"Nor is the collar made so that it can be removed from the hoe handle— no bolt, screw, or nail holding it in place. Far as I can tell, some kind of machine pressed an indentation into the collar and on into the wood so that the handle would stay in place. For all practical purposes, this hoe is made to throw away in a few years. A real repair job, if possible, would cost more than a new cheap hoe."

No comments:

Post a Comment