Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Blueberries - Fall planting 2010

This is a new addition to the backyard garden, five bluecrop blueberry bushes.  I wasn't really planning on adding any blueberries to the garden but I saw these at Lowes for 5 bucks a piece so I pulled the trigger.

Mature Bluecrop blueberry bushes can yield 10-15 pounds of fruit per year, so the full wine making potential of 5 mature bushes would equate to 50-75 total pounds of fruit. Each gallon of wine required 3 pounds of fruit bringing the total amount of gallons to 16-25, which equals 80-125 bottles. In terms of finished wine these are some pretty substantial statistics in my opinion. I hope these numbers are accurate. The trade off for harvest potential is the maturity period of 5 years.

These are fairly pathetic looking at this point just after being planted and mulched.


2 comments:

  1. Where did you get your berry bushes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found them on sale @ Lowes in the post-season sale cart - 5 bucks a piece...not bad

    ReplyDelete