Sunday, December 19, 2010

How many bottles of wine?

If you were like me, you have wondered how many bottles of wine can you produce if you planted a small vineyard.

The answer is this:  3-6 bottles per vine when mature (4+ years).

In my scenario, I've lost what I estimate to be a years growth at my parents vineyard due to poor pruning practices. I am fortunate that the Niagara vines are extremely vigorous at this location and will recover quickly if everything goes as planned. While these are 4th year vines, the crop expectation next year will be a modest 3rd year harvest with a bigger one coming the following year. I am expecting 1 or 2 bottles per vine next year. We'll see though, nothing ever seems to go as planned and I would advise anyone to account for mistakes such as this when making estimates per vintage when a learning curve is present. Perhaps I am a slow learner.

No comments:

Post a Comment