Sunday, March 27, 2011

Chaptalization - Adding sugar to your juice

If you are like me and have made "country" wine with frozen berries, you have most likely had add to sugar to your juice to increase the alcohol to a desirable level of 10-12%, but I've always thought that this was not necessary or legal for wine made from grapes. While this is true in America, wine makers in Europe commonly due this to make up for the lack of sugar in the grapes from lower amounts of sunshine and colder climates. Even grapes from the prestigious areas of France are doctored up using this method. I have a new respect for California Grapes right now, this is a more natural finished product in my opinion. The sunshine of the climate produces all of the sugar you need for the finished wine, and too my knowledge is not even legal if you are to use the California wine association on your labels.

 Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment