Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Duck has returned (Muscovy came home)

After a journey to somewhere for about 4 days, this duck has decided to return. It is a female Muscovy and is going to be named soon, which means she is enters the prestigious club of "untouchable" with the kill stick when it's time for thinning the flock. She has been with me for 3 years now and I got her when she was a duckling. She has great markings and has a black back and wings with a green tint in the sun. I like this bird because three others flew away and this one stayed home... loyalty earned her social security and medicare.  She is a mosquito eating machine. At dusk each night she flies out of the coop and goes on patrol, nose to the ground looking for bugs, until the entire backyard in combed, and then flies back into the coop for the night. You will notice that in my yard I have barely any annoying insects for the last 2 years. It may be from the weather patterns, but I suspect the birds are a factor. This bird definitely "earns her keep".

Any name suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment